Some women experience a lot of difficulty while conceiving and need to take the help of ovulation kits and practice various sexual positions and go through several other problems. On the other hand, numerous women hardly go through any trouble to get pregnant. Whenever you decide to get pregnant, do make good use of proper medical advice based on science as it can augment your chances of conceiving a baby soon. Have a look at some of the dos and don’ts you need to take care of while trying to have a baby.
Increase Your Chances of Conception—8 Ways to Conceive
Prior to getting pregnant, here are some things you need to do, so you can improve your odds of getting pregnant soon and without any trouble. According to Paula Hillard, who is a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the Stanford University, women should practice these tips before they try to get pregnant. Moreover, she also advises them to get a thorough medical checkup to identify any underlying medical conditions.
1. Stop Using Birth Control Measures
Yes, you need to get off your birth control measures, be it pills, a ring or a patch- you need to stop practicing them, so your cycle can get back to normal and you can try to conceive a baby. If you are ready to get pregnant and are having a normal menstrual cycle, but need a little time before conceiving, you can use a condom.
2. Start Taking Vitamins
Taking vitamins can be one of the ways to conceive as they are good for your health and have positive effects on female and male fertility. Vitamin C safeguards the sperm’s DNA against shocks, enhances motility and improves its quality. Vitamin E improves the rate of fertilization in men, augments the sperm’s strength and enhances fertility in men and women. Folic acid and other B vitamins result in a healthy baby. B6 improves women’s fertility and B12 is known for boosting the sperm count. However, do consult your doctor before taking any vitamins.
3. Achieve a Healthy Body Weight
Having a healthy body weight is essential as obesity can reduce your odds of conceiving a baby as proven by various studies. If you plan to undergo a fertility treatment, your doctor will probably advise you to lose some weight. On the other hand, you should not be underweight as well. If you are physically healthy, then you need to maintain your body weight and a healthy diet. Moreover, eat fish that has low levels of mercury, such as tuna, salmon and shrimp.
4. Take Folic Acid
Prior to officially trying to conceive a baby, do get a checkup from your doctor and ask her regarding folic acid tablets and prenatal vitamins that are helpful in preventing birth defects, including spina bifida. Folic acid is useful during the first trimester; hence, you need to ensure that you get a sufficient amount of folic acid before conceiving.
5. Have Sex the Correct Way
You need to take care while having sex and ensure you are doing it the right way. Here’s what you need to do.
- Lie Down: There is no evidence stating that a certain position is more effective than another. However, you need to lie on your back after you have ejaculated. According to a Dutch study, it was demonstrated that women who lay on their back for fifteen minutes after having sex had 50% more chances to get pregnant than those who did not.
- Do Not Use Any Lubricants: Try to avoid using any artificial lubricants, as they aren’t too friendly with the sperms. If you do need a lubricant, try using natural oils, such as canola or olive oil.
- Relax Yourself: Stress can mess up your entire cycle hence it is best to calm your nerves and stay cool. Do not think much while you are attempting to get pregnant. Try doing yoga or meditation every day to soothe away your tensions and anxiety. When you are in stress, your hypothalamus stops functioning well. It is the part of your brain that controls your hormones.
6. Know Your Fertile Days
Knowing your most fertile days could be one of the useful ways to conceive successfully. You need to keep a check on your fertile days and try to identify those days when you ovulate. Most of the women release an egg once during every menstrual cycle. If you know when you ovulate, you can have sex during that time and increase your chances of conceiving. If you are having an irregular menstrual cycle, then identifying your ovulating days can be difficult. In that case, consult this issue with your doctor.
The sperm generally stays in your Fallopian tube for about 5 days, so it can wait for a while for your ovaries to release an egg. On average, you ovulate on the 14th day of your menstrual cycle in a 28-day cycle.
If you don’t know your fertile days, then you should try having sex every other day as it will improve your chances of having a baby. Moreover, if your partner hasn’t ejaculated in a long time, there are chances that there is a huge pile of dead sperm lying in his semen and this will prevent you from conceiving.
7. Eat Foods that Boost Fertility
You need to improve your diet and enrich it with fertility foods. Eat lots of organic plants and foods, including organic vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains. These foods are saturated with minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that enhance your cellular health and improve your uterine lining.
Moreover, you need to eat a lot of protein. Add chicken, tofu, eggs and seafood rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and iron to your diet. Do not forget to drink lots of milk and eat yogurt regularly.
Apart from that, avoid eating foods that can decrease your odds of having a baby. For instance, foods that have traces of pesticides in them, or processed baked goods, artificial sweeteners, unpasteurized cheeses, raw fish, pre-packaged foods and foods rich in trans-fat.
Learn more fertility foods for women:
8. Quit These Unhealthy Habits
- Smoking: The minute you make the decision to get pregnant; you need to put an end to your habit of smoking. Smoking has adverse effects on your chances of conceiving, your baby and your fertility. Not only should you stop smoking, but you should also ask your husband or partner to quit smoking as well because smoking can decrease his sperm numbers and prevent them from reaching your egg. Moreover, you need to stop sitting amongst smokers as second hand smoking can affect your pregnancy too.
- Drinking: If you intend to conceive, then you should give up drinking alcohol at least 2 months before trying to get pregnant. Couples who are experiencing troubles while conceiving should certainly try this.
- Increased Intake of Caffeine: You need to refrain from consuming all foods that are rich in caffeine, including coffee and chocolates. Women who consume around 3 cups of coffee or other beverages containing a high percentage of caffeine have less chances of conceiving compared to those who drink 2 cups of coffee.
- Using Drugs: Stop using any illegal drugs including marijuana and cocaine as they can adversely affect your body’s ability to conceive a baby.
Click here to learn more ways to get pregnant fast.